Sonntag, 17. Mai 2009

Suffering and ignorance -part ouf our nature?



Someone suffers, but normal life goes on. Is that normal, part of our nature? I think it is?

I am always fascinated, when in docufilms of Africa an animal is chased by beasts, and the members of its herd are going on with eating as if nothing would happen.-

***

I was looking for something in wikipedia according to the theme suffering and found this:



This Breughel's painting is among those that inspired W.H. Auden's poem Musée des Beaux Arts :

About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters; how well, they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
(...)
In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; (...) [7]

And it remembered me at a scene yesterday at night. On my way home I came along an asyl of "homeless men" and I saw firemen and police in front of it . Obviously there had be some burning inside, but nothing too seriously.

So police and firemen were doing in a blocked off area their jobs and some people including me were watching it curiously.

Suddenly two young girls came along and one of them discovered a girl friend standing there. Cheers, big hellos, hugging and exciting small talk without looking at the building anymore. I think you can imagine the scene quite well ...

During that time out of the building came two sanitaries with a half-naked man and lead him to an ambulance, unnoticed by the cheerful girls ...

So, how would Breughel have painted his picture today?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen